Saturday, December 13, 2008

I'm not an experienced mover, I just play one on TV.

In hindsight, it was denial. Complete and total denial.

At first glance, it seemed that I was so calm, so together, so well-paced. People would say, "Oh my gosh...are you all packed? Are you ready to go?" I would nod, confidently, and say that I was JUST ABOUT THERE. I truly believed myself when I said, “It’ll all come together in the last day or so. It always does."

Wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong!

It WOULD have come together in the last days IF I were moving to another house in Portland.

Hell, it would have come together if I were moving across the country again, back to St. Louis, or even further east. It did NOT come together, though, because this was the first time I was moving to THE OTHER SIDE OF THE F-ING WORLD. Okay, maybe not entirely the OTHER side, but nearly 7,000 miles, I think.

I relied on the "last time" I moved...that was my frame of reference. Truth be told, there wasn't a "last time" to rely on. It was a whole new ballgame and I arrived during the last inning. Seriously, I didn't realize that I was in over my head until it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment